Amanda-Users

Re: disk-disk-tape best practices

2007-03-01 19:17:01
Subject: Re: disk-disk-tape best practices
From: "Alastair Neil" <ajneil AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Matt Hyclak" <hyclak AT math.ohiou DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 16:10:33 -0500

On 3/1/07, Matt Hyclak <hyclak AT math.ohiou DOT edu> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 12:53:43PM -0500, Alastair Neil enlightened us:
> My experience with amanda in the past is that it will not write level 0
> dumps only to holding space - is this incorrect?  If this is the case then
> indeed my configuration is overly complicated.  I have in the past
> maintained a 9 months backup history - that would be about 270 tapes - a lot
> of LTO2 media.  I didn't mention but we are an academic environment so this
> starts to become cost prohibitive, as it is I was looking at only providing
> a semester ~ 3month backup window going forward.

It most certainly does store level 0's to holding disk. I also am
educational and have an LTO2 setup. My weekly backups are currently about
150GB, so I let them spool on a RAID1 holding disk for a week, then put a
tape in and let them autoflush on the 7th day. I have a rotating set of
tapes for 20 weeks, and do an archival dump quarterly.

You probably just need to adjust your reserve parameter properly in
amanda.conf. The default is 100% is reserved for degraded-mode backups. Set
it to something smaller to allow fulls to fit.

Matt

Thanks for the pointer, I will try this.  I assume I turn off autoflush? I'm going to try with a reserve  of 25%  - I have a 250 Gbyte  holding disk.