Amanda-Users

Re: using removable virtual tapes [changed subj line]

2007-01-21 11:21:45
Subject: Re: using removable virtual tapes [changed subj line]
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 10:38:52 -0500
On Sun, Jan 21, 2007 at 12:47:34PM +0100, Fritz Wittwer wrote:

> Hi all,
> i have an amanda installation (Version 2.4.5) where i make all the backups
> onto disks. This disks are in a removable container so i can swap the
> disks. I plan to swap the disks each week or so, so in case of a site
> disaster i have one Disk somewhere off site.
> So i have th situation that i have for example virtual tapes daily00 ..
> daily 99, but at any given time, only 20 of them are online, e.g daily
> 20..daily39.
> How can i handle this with amanda, do i have to edit
> ..etc/amanda/<config>/tapelist file each time i swap the disks?
>
> Would this work, or are there any other smart ideas

There is an implied assumption in the chg-disk script that the virtual
tapes will be online at all times.  This comes from the line:

   LASTSLOT=`amgetconf$SUF tapecycle`

In tape changer scripts like chg-mtx the last slot and tapecycle are
not linked.

You might submit a Request For Enhancement to divorce these two parameters
in a revised chg-disk script.  Then your changer directory could contain
just the 20 mount point directories of the removable disks, or symbolic
links to those directories.

It may be as simple as changing the above line to LASTSLOT=20.  If you
are adventurous give it a try and use amtape and amadmin commands to
confirm it works before doing an amdump.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)