Amanda-Users

Re: amanda client on MAC, launchd issue

2007-01-09 15:43:57
Subject: Re: amanda client on MAC, launchd issue
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 15:35:32 -0500
On Tuesday 09 January 2007 11:44, Brian Cuttler wrote:
>We are running the server on Solaris and a client on MAC OS X
>but are seening that the launchd process seems to invalidate
>the service.
>
>So far I haven't found the actual line in /var/log/system.log
>but I see these messages which show the intent, so I believe
>I'm on track.
>
>Jan  6 18:32:09 trel launchd: org.amanda.amandad: 7 more failures
> without living at least 60 seconds will cause job removal
>

>trel:/var/log cssadmin$ uname -a
>Darwin trel.wadsworth.org 8.8.0 Darwin Kernel Version 8.8.0: Fri Sep  8
> 17:18:57 PDT 2006; root:xnu-792.12.6.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC Power Macintosh
> powerpc
>
>On the client
>amandad: build: VERSION="Amanda-2.4.5p1"
>
>Should we use xinetd instead ?

amanda needs xinetd because the services (generally speaking) are launched
on demand rather than launched and sleeping till demand.  It could at one
time be done by inetd, but that code may have bit rot if it still exists,
even in a version as old as 2.4.5p1.  I'm currently running Amanda
version 2.5.1p2-20070105 here.

And this is a wee bit odd because on FC6, I had to install xinetd after
the installation was done in order for amanda to continue to work with my
existing configuration which I simply copied over from the old drive.

I have NDI why xinetd is not now part of the default install, so its
possible we may be seeing the first shot in needing to figure out a new
way to do it.  In fact my curiosity is piqued enough to go ask on the
fedora list as the the future status of xinetd.

>                                               TIA,
>
>                                               Brian
>---
>   Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cuttler AT wadsworth DOT org
>   Computer Systems Support        (v) 518 486-1697
>   Wadsworth Center                (f) 518 473-6384
>   NYS Department of Health        Help Desk 518 473-0773

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
message by Gene Heskett are: