Amanda-Users

inparallel > 1 without holding disk?

2007-01-02 06:58:50
Subject: inparallel > 1 without holding disk?
From: "Patrick M. Hausen" <hausen AT punkt DOT de>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 12:48:35 +0100
Hi, all!

We are running Amanda 2.5.1p2 with vtapes for disk based backup.
To speed up the nightly runs, I'd like to dump multiple DLEs
concurrently.

>From what I read in the docs, any value for "inparallel" that
is bigger than 1 requires the presence of a holding disk.
Is this correct? Is there a reason besides historical ones
and/or architecture? I understand that you cannot send two
dumps to a single tape at the same time, but with vtapes
you should be able to have N dumpers running in parallel.

If I use a holding disk, that one would have to go to the
same RAID volume that contains the vtapes, unfortunately.
Will Amanda just move the dump archives to their final
destination or will it read from holding disk and write
to the vtape, so the data gets unnecessarily copied a second
time? Again, with real tapes I know what happens and why,
so this question is specific to disk based backup.

Thanks,
Patrick
--
punkt.de GmbH         Internet - Dienstleistungen - Beratung
Vorholzstr. 25        Tel. 0721 9109 -0 Fax: -100