Amanda-Users

Problems with chg-scsi parameters

2006-11-23 22:33:24
Subject: Problems with chg-scsi parameters
From: Don Murray <samba AT geeksrus DOT ca>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 16:32:26 -0800

Hello Amanda-ites,

I have had a baby test Amanda installation running for a week with vtapes, but today I wanted to take the next step which is to create a new configuration for use with our Dell PV-122T 8-tape changer. I believe I am not setting up my "chg-scsi" configuration correctly as amcheck fails apparently due to my configuration of the tape changer.

Every time I run "amcheck" I get the following result:
$ amcheck daily
Amanda Tape Server Host Check
-----------------------------
Holding disk /holding/amanda: 405373112 KB disk space available, using 394887352 KB
amcheck-server: could not get changer info: param. not set in your config

Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
--------------------------------
Client check: 1 host checked in 0.028 seconds, 0 problems found

(brought to you by Amanda 2.4.4p3)

I was trying to carry on and label my tapes and this happens each time I try to run "amtape", so the tape is not labelled or added to my tapelist.

Any suggestions would be great. I am attaching below all the information I can think to include. BTW, I have tried to follow the suggestions in chg-scsi.notes in /usr/share/doc/amanda-server-2.4.4p3/ and also I've tried to google more information but so far I seem to be missing something critical.

Thanks in advance,

Don

$ cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Host: scsi4 Channel: 00 Id: 05 Lun: 00
  Vendor: DELL     Model: PV-122T          Rev: K17r
  Type:   Medium Changer                   ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi4 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
  Vendor: IBM      Model: ULTRIUM-TD2      Rev: 3AYD
  Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 03

Machine is running FC3
-bash-3.00$ uname -a
Linux windsor.XXX.com 2.6.9-1.667smp #1 SMP Tue Nov 2 14:59:52 EST 2004 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

I have installed amanda using "yum":

-bash-3.00$ rpm -qa | grep amanda
amanda-2.4.4p3-1
amanda-client-2.4.4p3-1
amanda-server-2.4.4p3-1

#
# amanda.conf - sample Amanda configuration file.  This started off life as
#               the actual config file in use at CS.UMD.EDU.
#
# If your configuration is called, say, "csd", then this file normally goes
# in /etc/amanda/csd/amanda.conf.
#

# your organization name for reports
org "Geeks"
# space separated list of operators at your site
mailto  "samba AT geeksrus DOT ca"
dumpuser "amanda"       # the user to run dumps under

inparallel 4            # maximum dumpers that will run in parallel
netusage  600 Kbps      # maximum net bandwidth for Amanda, in KB per sec

dumpcycle 7 days        # the number of days in the normal dump cycle
#runspercycle 4 weeks    # the number of amdump runs in dumpcycle days
tapecycle 7 tapes       # the number of tapes in rotation
                        # 4 weeks (dumpcycle) times 5 tapes per week (just
                        # the weekdays) plus a few to handle errors that
                        # need amflush and so we do not overwrite the full
                        # backups performed at the beginning of the previous
                        # cycle
### ### ###
# WARNING: don't use `inf' for tapecycle, it's broken!
### ### ###

bumpsize 20 Mb          # minimum savings (threshold) to bump level 1 -> 2
bumpdays 1              # minimum days at each level
bumpmult 4              # threshold = bumpsize * bumpmult^(level-1)

etimeout 300            # number of seconds per filesystem for estimates.
#etimeout -600          # total number of seconds for estimates.
# a positive number will be multiplied by the number of filesystems on
# each host; a negative number will be taken as an absolute total time-out.
# The default is 5 minutes per filesystem.

runtapes 1              # number of tapes to be used in a single run of amdump
tpchanger "chg-scsi"    # the tape-changer glue script
tapedev "0"
changerfile "/etc/amanda/daily/changer.conf"
#rawtapedev "/dev/null" # the raw device to be used (ftape only)
#changerdev "/dev/sg4"

tapetype quantum-lto2
labelstr "^GEEK-[0-9][0-9]*$"   # label constraint regex: all tapes must match

holdingdisk hd1 {
    comment "main holding disk"
    # where the holding disk is
    directory "/holding/amanda"
    use -10 Gb          # how much space can we use on it
}

infofile "/var/lib/amanda/daily/curinfo"        # database filename
logdir   "/var/lib/amanda/daily"                # log directory
indexdir "/var/lib/amanda/daily/index"  # index directory
# tapelist is stored, by default, in the directory that contains amanda.conf

# tapetypes

define tapetype quantum-lto2 {
   comment "grabbed from http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Tapetype_definitions";
   length 186368 mbytes
   filemark 0 kbytes
   speed 2781 kps
}

define dumptype global {
    comment "Global definitions"
    program "GNUTAR"
    index   yes
    record  yes
    # This is quite useful for setting global parameters, so you don't have
    # to type them everywhere.  All dumptype definitions in this sample file
    # do include these definitions, either directly or indirectly.
    # There's nothing special about the name `global'; if you create any
    # dumptype that does not contain the word `global' or the name of any
    # other dumptype that contains it, these definitions won't apply.
    # Note that these definitions may be overridden in other
    # dumptypes, if the redefinitions appear *after* the `global'
    # dumptype name.
    # You may want to use this for globally enabling or disabling
    # indexing, recording, etc.  Some examples:
    # index yes
    # record no
}

define dumptype local {
    global
    compress client fast
}

define dumptype remote {
    global
    compress client fast
}

define dumptype windsor-root {
    local
    comment "Windsor root"
#    exclude list "/var/tapetest" "/tmp"
    exclude list "/tmp"
}

#define dumptype always-full {
#    global
#    comment "Full dump of this filesystem always"
#    compress none
#    priority high
#    dumpcycle 0
#}
#
#
#define dumptype holding-disk {
#    global
#    comment "The master-host holding disk itself"
#    holdingdisk no # do not use the holding disk
#    priority medium
#}
#
#define dumptype comp-user {
#    global
#    comment "Non-root partitions on reasonably fast machines"
#    compress client fast
#    priority medium
#}
#
#define dumptype nocomp-user {
#    comp-user
#    comment "Non-root partitions on slow machines"
#    compress none
#}
#
#define dumptype comp-root {
#    global
#    comment "Root partitions with compression"
#    compress client fast
#    priority low
#}
#
#define dumptype nocomp-root {
#    comp-root
#    comment "Root partitions without compression"
#    compress none
#}
#
#define dumptype comp-high {
#    global
#    comment "very important partitions on fast machines"
#    compress client best
#    priority high
#}
#
#define dumptype nocomp-high {
#    comp-high
#    comment "very important partitions on slow machines"
#    compress none
#}
#
#define dumptype nocomp-test {
#    global
#    comment "test dump without compression, no /etc/dumpdates recording"
#    compress none
#    record no
#    priority medium
#}
#
#define dumptype comp-test {
#    nocomp-test
#    comment "test dump with compression, no /etc/dumpdates recording"
#    compress client fast
#}

# network interfaces
#
# These are referred to by the disklist file.  They define the attributes
# of the network interface that the remote machine is accessed through.
# Notes: - netusage above defines the attributes that are used when the
#          disklist entry doesn't specify otherwise.
#        - the values below are only samples.
#        - specifying an interface does not force the traffic to pass
#          through that interface.  Your OS routing tables do that.  This
#          is just a mechanism to stop Amanda trashing your network.
# Attributes are:
#       use             - bandwidth above which amanda won't start
#                         backups using this interface.  Note that if
#                         a single backup will take more than that,
#                         amanda won't try to make it run slower!

define interface local {
    comment "a local disk"
    use 1000 kbps
}

define interface eth0 {
    comment "10 Mbps ethernet"
    use 400 kbps
}

# You may include other amanda configuration files, so you can share
# dumptypes, tapetypes and interface definitions among several
# configurations.

#includefile "/usr/local/amanda.conf.main"
number_configs  1
eject           0       # Tapedrives need an eject command
sleep           5      # Seconds to wait until the tape gets ready
cleanmax        100     # How many times could a cleaning tape get used
changerdev      /dev/sg4

# Don added
#emubarcode 1
debuglevel 9:0
#havebarcode 1
##scsitapedev /dev/nst0
#tapestatus /var/lib/amanda/pgrdaily/chg-scsi.log

# Next comes the data for drive 0
config          0
drivenum        0
dev             /dev/nst0
#scsitapedev     /dev/sg4
startuse        2       # The slots associated with the drive 0
enduse          8       #
#statfile        /etc/amanda/daily/tape0-slot  # The file where the actual slot
is stored
usagecount      /etc/amanda/daily/totaltime
tapestatus      /etc/amanda/daily/tapestatus # here will some status infos be
stored

# backup the root partition of windsor
windsor sda3 windsor-root