Amanda-Users

Re: Using no-reuse with vtapes

2006-11-20 11:17:10
Subject: Re: Using no-reuse with vtapes
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org, Gordon.Mills AT usa DOT net
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 11:05:28 -0500
On Monday 20 November 2006 10:12, Gordon J. Mills III wrote:
>I am having a problem using the no-reuse feature with vtapes. I have a
> tape that contains files from a machine that is going to be
> decommissioned. I want to save the last full backup of that machine. So
> I put no-reuse next to that tape in the tapelist file. The problem is
> that the next time the tape cycle comes around to that tape it acts
> like there is no available tape. It cycles through all the tapes and
> says "(expecting a new tape)" at the end.
>
>So the question is: how can I use the "no-reuse" feature? It seems that
>amanda has to have tapecycle number of tapes even if dumpcycle is set to
> a number lower than that. The relative section of my amanda.conf is
> below. This is on 2.5.0b1.
>
>dumpcycle 10 days       # the number of days in the normal dump cycle
>runspercycle 10
>tapecycle 21 tapes      # the number of tapes in rotation
>
>bumpsize 10 MB          # minimum savings (threshold) to bump level 1 ->
> 2 bumpdays     2          # minimum days at each level
>bumpmult     1.5        # threshold = bumpsize * (level-1)**bumpmult
>
>runtapes     1         # explained in WHATS.NEW
>tpchanger "chg-disk" # the tape-changer glue script, see TAPE.CHANGERS
>changerfile "/etc/amanda/DailySet1/changer"
>tapedev "file:/amandatapes/DailySet1/"  # Linux @ tuck, important:
>norewinding
># tapedev "/dev/nrst8"  # or use the (no-rewind!) tape device directly
>rawtapedev "file:/amandatapes/DailySet1/"
>
>tapetype HARD-DISK              # what kind of tape it is (see tapetypes
>below)
>labelstr "^TAPE[0-9][0-9]*$"    # label constraint regex: all tapes must
>match
>
>Regards,
>Gordon

I suspect you will have put that directories contents on some other NV
media, and remove the no-reuse tag unless you have room enough on the
vtapes media to do another amlabel on a new directory.

If there is space available, I'd mv it to another name thats not
compatible with the existing nameing convention, them mkdir a new one
with the same name and amlabel it accordingly.  Don't forget to mv the
index files for that vtape to match the new name you gave it.

This is where my helper scripts come in very handy because they put all
this stuff, in up2date format, on the (v)tape itself.  So later, when you
need to recover, its all there for that tape.  They're available on
zmanda's site as Genes-Amanda-Helper-0.5.tar.gz or some such.  Just
remember that because of the on-going activity of amanda, only those
files in the saved version that are level 0 files will be completely
valid.  Incremental references may well be hosed, as I'd expect them to
be.

Not a warranted good recipe here, but food for thought and
experimentation.  Perhaps another user has a better idea?

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
message by Gene Heskett are: