Amanda-Users

Re: questions regarding incremental backup sizes

2006-11-15 13:28:39
Subject: Re: questions regarding incremental backup sizes
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: René Kanters <rkanters AT richmond DOT edu>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 08:09:17 -0500
On Wednesday 15 November 2006 07:50, René Kanters wrote:
I've added the list back, please use 'reply all' when replying to any
mailing list.  That way, the list archives can be searched with a very
high probability of finding an answer to the problem you have because
someone else already had it and most likely solved it.  Which is true for
both problems you have asked about so far. :-)

>Hi Gene,
>
>Thanks, that was indeed it.
>
>I was wondering whether you know why I get in my amdump.1 a lot of
>
>find diskspace: not enough diskspace. Left with 1952 K
>driver: find_diskspace: time 0.138: want 1952 K
>
>and now that my incremental ones are working I get for an increment
>backup the similar message
>
>driver: find_diskspace: time 0.142: want 64 K
>find diskspace: not enough diskspace. Left with 64 K
>
>while my test tapes are 5MB and only backing up a set of files that
>is 2MB big.

By default, the holding disk area is 100% reserved for incrementals.  To
use it and its highly recommended to save shoe-shining wear and tear on
the drive, you should change the keyword Reserved in your amanda.conf to
allow it to be used for fulls too.  I use 30% here.

This 'holding disk' is a buffer area/directory on one of your hard drives
that is used as a scratchpad area, where files being compressed are built
up until that particular disklist entry is completed, at which point it
is all written to the tape at the tape drives (or the interfaces) full
speed.  Without such a holding disk area setup and in use, any backup
that involves compression will be written as the compressor spits it out,
so the drive will be stopped and started many times, trying to recue back
to where it wrote the last data each time.  This wastes considerable time
and multiplies the wear on the drive by quite a bit.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
message by Gene Heskett are: