Amanda-Users

possible install breakage?

2006-11-11 21:41:25
Subject: possible install breakage?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: AMANDA users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 21:26:08 -0500
Greetings;

I just built amanda-2.5.1p2-20061109 and installed it by my usual scripts,
doing that as amanda, and becoming root to do the make install, followed
of course by an ldconfig.

But an su amanda -c "amcheck Daily" comes back with this:
bash: /usr/local/sbin/amcheck: Permission denied
So:
[root@coyote amanda-2.5.1p2-20061109]# ls -l /usr/local/sbin/amcheck
-rwsr-x--- 1 root disk 50958 Nov 11 20:22 /usr/local/sbin/amcheck

This is a brand new FC6 install.  Ohoh, I'll bet amanda is not a member of
the group 'disk' yet.  Hoo boy, dumb.  All fixed up, xinetd installed
etc, but no crontab entries made yet, and I have a wagon load of those to
make yet, I can't find where the user written crontabs are kept & I
didn't wanna re-invent that particular wheel if I could help it.

Making progress, slowly, on bringing a new FC6 install to life.

Gotcha's, aka things to watch for so far:

If the install puts in an xen enabled kernel, when its alive, make yum put
in a normal kernel and reboot to it, else you will not have any serial
ports.  Apparently xen grabs them for something else.

selinux is being a PITA, caps intentional, but thats sortable, or was on
an FC5 install on my lappy.  I'm behind a bulletproof firewall, so I've
disabled it for now.

I'm also using LVM2, so that means the /dos partition isn't, and I can't
format it as a vfat.  Thats a bummer I hadn't considered when I let it
use Logical Volume Management on the whole 160GB drive.

Question 1:  What does this use of LVM2 do with tar's staying within its
assigned filesystem?

Question 2: I see there is a tar-1.16 out today, I'll be watching for test
results if anyone has any war stories to relate vis-a-vis this new tar.

Fun & games so far.  First a :), then a :( or 3, then a ;-) ...