Amanda-Users

What user should be selected for amanda on reiserfs?

2006-11-10 08:26:35
Subject: What user should be selected for amanda on reiserfs?
From: Giuseppe Sacco <giuseppe AT eppesuigoccas.homedns DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 14:14:18 +0100
Hi all,
from what I understand, the amanda user should be able to read all files
(when using gtar) or the device node (when using dump).

The system I am testing amanda on is SLES9 with reiserfs file system
over LVM devices, so I think I cannot use the normal /sbin/dump command
(since it is meant for ext2/3 only).

In order to use gnu tar, I think I have to build amanda with
--with-user=root, otherwise the backup will not be able to read all
files. Is this true?

I found option --rundump that permit to use a script to change user
before running 'dump'. Is there any similar option for gnu tar?

If I compile amanda selecting the 'root' user, I get this problem:
lnx02:/ # /usr/local/sbin/amcheck savio
Amanda Tape Server Host Check
-----------------------------
Holding disk /srv/dump/areatempbackup: 5305772 kB disk space available, using
1048576 kB as requested
slot 2: read label `SAVIO_00', date `X'
NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
Tape SAVIO_00 label ok
NOTE: host info dir /var/lib/amanda/savio/curinfo/lnx02.cluster.savio.it does
not exist
NOTE: it will be created on the next run.
NOTE: index dir /var/lib/amanda/savio/index does not exist
NOTE: it will be created on the next run.
Server check took 0.921 seconds

Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
--------------------------------
ERROR: NAK lnx02.cluster.savio.it: user root from lnx02.cluster.savio.it is not
allowed to execute the service noop: cannot open /root/.amandahosts: Permission
denied
Client check: 1 host checked in 0.010 seconds, 1 problem found

(brought to you by Amanda 2.5.1p2)
lnx02:/ #

but the file should be readable by root:
lnx02:/usr/local/src/amanda-2.5.1p2 # ls -l /root/.amandahosts
-rw-------  1 root root 46 Nov 10 13:57 /root/.amandahosts
lnx02:/usr/local/src/amanda-2.5.1p2 # cat /root/.amandahosts
lnx02.cluster.savio.it  root
lnx01.cluster.savio.it  root
lnx02:/usr/local/src/amanda-2.5.1p2 #

Does anyone have a solution for this?