Amanda-Users

Re: Monthly backup

2006-11-01 15:47:20
Subject: Re: Monthly backup
From: James Wilson <jwilson AT transolutions DOT net>
To: Steven Kurylo <steven.kurylo AT vcom DOT com>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2006 14:27:51 -0600
the folder name doesn't change. for example if I have folders

2006-01
2006-02
2006-03
2006-04

And I only want to back up folders 2006-01 and 2006-02. Is this possible? To back up certain folders and not others in a particular directory.

Steven Kurylo wrote:
James Wilson wrote:
Well I have a folder lets say its called "voice" and in voice I have a
bunch of folders in there labeled by date. Starting with todays date
all the way back to 10-01-2005.
I want to backup everything till may of 2006 for the. Then I'm going
to delete all those files because I have them on tape. Then every
month I just want to back up the next month so in this case the next
month would be June then July etc.
So you don't want a full backup, just a specific folder whose name
changes each month.

I would create a symlink /path/to/link, pointing to /path/to/2006-04. Tell the backup to backup /path/to/link. When the backup is done, have
a script which deletes /path/to/2006-04, then changes /path/to/link to
point at 2006-05.

Or you could have amanda backup everything, but use an exclude to block
the most recent folders.  Then you'd have to rewrite the exclude file
regularly.

I'm sure there might be a few other ways.