Amanda-Users

Re: labelling of reused tapes

2006-10-10 16:50:02
Subject: Re: labelling of reused tapes
From: Matt Hyclak <hyclak AT math.ohiou DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 16:40:31 -0400
On Tue, Oct 10, 2006 at 03:00:32PM -0400, Steven Settlemyre enlightened us:
> I have a monthly backup config with runtapes=3 and 59 tapes in the
> tapecycle. The instructions I was originally given say to run a script
> that looks in tapelist, find the highest # then label the next 3 tapes
> starting from there. This seems wrong because then it wouldn't be a
> cycle. My question is when I do amcheck, it tells me "(expecting tape
> Monthly04 or a new tape)". But the next tape I have in my hand is
> currently labeled Monthly50 which is correct because it is in the
> tapelist as "20051107 Monthly50 reuse". How do I solve this problem? How
> do I tell amanda to look for "Monthly50" instead of "Monthly04"? Or how
> do i have amanda use the tape I give it as long as it's not recently used?

That's the "Or New Tape" part. If you've labelled a tape but not used it, it
is considered a new tape. Amanda will also accept any tape that is more than
tapecycle tapes old, so in my case my tapecycle is 16 tapes, but I actually
use 20 in rotation, so that if one fails, I don't have to replace it
immediately.

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak