Amanda-Users

Re: Mac OSX & dump

2006-10-09 22:39:20
Subject: Re: Mac OSX & dump
From: Bruce Thompson <drllama AT otherother DOT com>
To: "McGraw, Robert P." <rmcgraw AT purdue DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 19:28:23 -0700
Hi Robert,

I run amanda on two PowerBooks and a Linux server. My amanda server is one of the PowerBooks using vtapes that get burned to DVD.

That said, I would urge you _not_ to use dump to backup a Mac. Assuming you are using a recent version of Mac OS X (10.4.X, possibly 10.3 I'm not sure) then the version of tar shipped with Mac OS X knows all about resource forks and will do the right thing for backup and restore.

/sbin/dump is a Unix utility that Mac OS X inherited from BSD. While it can be used for UFS filesystems it will not function correctly for HFS and HFS+ filesystems.

Tar is your friend here! I've had no problems on our Macs with either full or incremental backups. I would recommend tailoring your disklist so that portions of the filesystem that are always in flux (like /private/var/log or /private/var/spool) can be excluded.

Cheers,
Bruce.