Amanda-Users

Re: estimate timeout and dump failure

2006-10-06 11:37:06
Subject: Re: estimate timeout and dump failure
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 11:30:39 -0400
On Friday 06 October 2006 10:32, Mike Galvez wrote:

Mike, I think this is a known bug, you need to update to one of the 2.5.1p1
versions.  It bit lots of us.

See <http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~martinea/amanda/>

I ran the 20061004 snapshot last night, and it worked just fine.

>I am using version 2.5.0p2. on my dump host. One of my clients (same
> version) has a filesystem that consistently fails the estimate and dump
> phases. The same host has two other filesystems (smaller) that complete
> without problem. The amandad and selfcheck debug from this host shows no
> indication of problems.
[...]

If the client is a slower client, you might have to enlarge the 'etimeout'
and 'dtimeout' settings too, but I believe that won't fix the bug I
referred to.  Really big estimates and dumps will exceed those defaults,
and you didn't say how big they might be.  My largest dle is about 9GiB,
and ISTR I've had those doubled for years.  My one client is a little
slow, its only a 500mhz k6 with 320megs of ram.  I have things divided up
into usually not more than 2GiB dle's, some considerably smaller, so
amanda can have a ball balancing things.  About 55GiB total.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
message by Gene Heskett are: