Amanda-Users

Re: bizarre bug fixed but not explained

2006-09-30 13:23:47
Subject: Re: bizarre bug fixed but not explained
From: Ross Vandegrift <ross AT kallisti DOT us>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 11:17:38 -0400
On Fri, Sep 29, 2006 at 06:47:42PM -0400, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 29, 2006 at 06:01:46PM -0400, Steve Newcomb wrote:
> > chown root.disk /home/amanda/libexec/runtar
>
> All the chown's I've used require a colon (':'),
> not a period ('.') between the user and group.

It's a BSD-ism that's been inherited into the GNU tools.  POSIX
technically disallows it because a username is allowed to contain
dots.

Check the documentation for fileutils for more references.  Might not
be a bad idea to convert that to colon since Amanda can run on many
platforms that are both non-BSD and non-GNU.

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross AT kallisti DOT us

man in the bonds of Hell."