Amanda-Users

tape writes and chuncks

2006-09-28 08:24:27
Subject: tape writes and chuncks
From: "McGraw, Robert P." <rmcgraw AT purdue DOT edu>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 08:16:14 -0400
My default chunk size is CHUNKSIZE 1048576.

How do the tapers write the chunks that are on the holding disk? Does it
combine them into one file before writing or does it concatenate the chunks
on the fly. Or what kind of magic does it do to get the data to tape.

Does this process slow down the streaming of the data to tapes? I have a
large holding disk, would I benefit from larger chunksize?

Thanks

Robert

Robert P. McGraw, Jr.
Manager, Computer System                 EMAIL: rmcgraw AT purdue DOT edu
Purdue University                         ROOM: MATH-807
Department of Mathematics                PHONE: (765) 494-6055
150 N. University Street                   FAX: (419) 821-0540
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2067