Amanda-Users

Re: index tee cannot write problem with 2.5.1

2006-09-07 03:44:31
Subject: Re: index tee cannot write problem with 2.5.1
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Steven Backus <backus AT whimsy.med.utah DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 09:34:02 +0200
On 2006-09-06 18:44, Steven Backus wrote:
I upgraded to the new 2.5.1 yesterday, bleeding edge, that's me.
All but one of my clients got backed up.  The amanda report says:

  ambiance.med.utah.edu  sdc1      lev 1  FAILED [cannot read header: got 0
instead of 32768]
  ambiance.med.utah.edu  sdc1      lev 1  FAILED [cannot read header: got 0
instead of 32768]
  ambiance.med.utah.edu  sdc1      lev 1  FAILED [too many dumper retry: "[request
failed: timeout waiting for ACK]"]
  ambiance.med.utah.edu  sdb5      lev 2  FAILED [cannot read header: got 0
instead of 32768]
  ambiance.med.utah.edu  /         lev 0  FAILED [cannot read header: got 0
instead of 32768]
  ambiance.med.utah.edu  sdb5      lev 2  FAILED [cannot read header: got 0
instead of 32768]
  ambiance.med.utah.edu  sdb5      lev 2  FAILED [too many dumper retry: "[request
failed: timeout waiting for ACK]"]
  ambiance.med.utah.edu  /         lev 0  FAILED [cannot read header: got 0
instead of 32768]
  ambiance.med.utah.edu  /         lev 0  FAILED [too many dumper retry: "[request
failed: timeout waiting for ACK]"]

the sendbackup debug files on the client all say:

sendbackup: time 0.054: started backup
sendbackup: time 50.042: index tee cannot write [Broken pipe]
sendbackup: time 50.042: pid 5989 finish time Tue Sep  5 20:01:43 2006

I believe the "index tee cannot write" is just a secondary problem.
Because the serverside of amanda had problems, it closed down the data,
message and the index channel to the client.  When the client then
tries to write something, it gets a an error of course.

I believe you first find out where the "cannot read header" as seen
on server is coming from.

There is no firewall between the server and client.  They are both
running the latest Red Hat Linux AS.  I have these settings in my
amanda.conf:

etimeout                2400
dtimeout                1800
ctimeout                30

The timeouts are probably not the cause.
Have a look in the amdump.X file and get some more context around
that client and in particular the error message above.
(amdump.X file contains the stderr output of all the serverside
programs).

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *