Amanda-Users

Re: amanda.conf include file question

2006-09-06 10:37:31
Subject: Re: amanda.conf include file question
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 10:29:55 -0400
On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 09:10:30AM -0400, McGraw, Robert P. wrote:

> I am looking at using the includefile feature in the amanda configuration
> file.
>
> I am running 2.4.5P1.
>
> 1) Is the includefile available in 2.4.5P1.

Its been around a long time, so yes.

> 2) What would happen if I have the same configuration parameters in both the
> include file and the amanda.conf file? Which one would have precedence? Does
> order matter?

In one of my older setups I broke lots of common things out of amanda.conf
to be read in with "includefile".  Things like dumptypes, tapetypes,
templates, holding disks, network interfaces.  Sure made amanda.conf
much more reasonable size.

I did run into an order-dependency situation that I'm unsure has been
changed or not in more recent releases.  JLM explained my observations
and I'm paraphrasing from memory here, so if any errors are mine.

Some parameters have both global and per-DLE values.  If not set in a
DLE, the global value is used.  Global parameters have default values,
but if ever set to a value, that value becomes the global value.  Dump-
type definitions use the global values in effect when the dumptype is
defined, and are unaffected by any later changes to the global values.

In my case, one of the includefiles was setting a parameter before any
setting in the main amanda.conf.  It thus became the global value
while all my "includefile" dumptypes were defined and the later setting
of the same parameter in the the main file did not affect the dumptype
definitions.  The solution in my case was simple, move the includefiles
to the end of amanda.conf.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)