Amanda-Users

RE: Couple of doubts about report and tapes

2006-09-01 03:05:20
Subject: RE: Couple of doubts about report and tapes
From: David Sánchez Martín <dsanchez AT e2000 DOT es>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 08:56:15 +0200
>> 3.- On the other hand, incremental, AFAIK, means "backup of all the
>> files that have changed since the last backup, even if that was an
>> incremental backup (as opossed to a full backup)". Is there a way to
>> make a differential backup ("backup of all the files that have since the
last FULL backup").

> I don't know of any international standards organization specifying
> the meaning of incremental and differential.  Thus, the definitions

Well i don't know any ISO that says how to, say, clean your teeth either,
but everybody
tends to do in a couple of ways.

It's a de facto convention to clean your teeth from up to down, and experts
says this is
the best way to do it, far better than right to left.

Just kidding ;-) ;-) ;-)

Now, seriously, i don't have access to ISO/IEC 17799 standard but i think
that's the applicable
(i don't know if delta backup is defined there).

> are in the eye of the beholder. Amanda's view does not include anything
> called differential.  Its incremental definition is based on backup
levels,
> an incremental of level X (X == 1 to 9) is the changes since the
> last backup of level lower than X.  Because of the way amanda changes
> levels (never lower except to level 0 and only one level higher at a
time),
> that would always be X-1.  So an incremental of level 4 is the changes
> since the last level 3. Not changes since the last backup as the last
> backup could also have been a level 4.

Yep, this is a great program :-)
I'm enjoying myself tweaking bumpXXXXXX parameters in amanda.conf.
Thank you very much list, you are great :-)

Now for something completely different ( ;-) )

The chg-zd-mtx changer script knows about barcodes, but,
What's the difference between using it or don't?
Just time looking for the next tape on the changer?, or it will refuse/warn
to load
a non/bad barcoded tape?

Thank you very much