Amanda-Users

"Unknown partition table signature" on "ghosted" disk

2006-08-31 11:01:46
Subject: "Unknown partition table signature" on "ghosted" disk
From: Toralf Lund <toralf AT procaptura DOT com>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 16:51:03 +0200
I'm not sure this is the right place to ask questions like this, but I'll give it a try:

On a certain host at work, the RH system installer (usually booted from a customised DVD...) will fail to detect the existing Linux partitions. The error message is (I think) "Unknown partition table signature". I've pretty much asked for such problems, I guess, as the system was set up via filesystem copy from a disk of a different size, using a "ghost" utility, but the weird part is that it boots just fine (after certain adjustments), and perhaps even stranger still: I can also access the filesystems in rescue mode. Or actually, the automatic detection won't work in that case, either, but once I've entered the shell, I can do a "mount" of the devices and subsequently read and write files without any problems.

Any ideas what this is all about? What is that signature supposed to be, anyway, and how do you set it?

- Toralf