Amanda-Users

Re: FAILED backups on different hosts each night

2006-08-30 09:34:04
Subject: Re: FAILED backups on different hosts each night
From: "Stephen Carter" <stephen AT retnet.co DOT uk>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 14:21:25 +0100
>>> Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com> 08/29/06 7:50 PM >>>
>If I understand the configuration, svr2 has 4 separate installations
>or the amanda client.  To amanda it appears as 4 distinct remote hosts.
>As you indicate different logical hosts fail nightly, it sounds like
>all have also had successful backups, thus the basic config is ok.
>
>Do the 4 logical hosts also have their own separate disks and network
>controllers?  Or is a single network interface serving multiple IP
>addresses and the hosts have separate partitions on a shared disk(s)?
>
>I ask from the view that amanda considers them distinct and may be
>asking for dumps simultaneously from all 4, possibly overloading
>the shared resources on the single physical client, svr2.  This
>could trigger some timeout mechanism that daily hits different
>logical hosts.
>
>Even if you are only running a single dumper so multiple, simultaneous
>dumps do not occur on svr2, perhaps the interval between estimates and
>dumps is so long that a network timeout is triggered.
>
>These are total guesses, just seeing it they might fly.
>
>--
>Jon H. LaBadie                  jon AT jgcomp DOT com
> JG Computing
> 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
> Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)

Thanks for the reply Jon,

Yes you are right is assuming my setup. All 4 servers (3 XEN guests + host) are
using the same SATA disks and single NIC interface. All servers are very low
load systems, just running different web servers that aren't hit very regularly.

I think it could be a timing issue also, but am a bit unsure of where to look.

I see that I get all the estimates, and I always get at least 2 dumps in a run
(1 from my physical backup server and 1 from one of the XEN host/guest
servers). What files should I be looking at to see any timeout errors? All I
seem to find is FAILED messages for the dumps but no explanation of why --
maybe I need to turn up debugging from default. I've had a look at both client
and server but there are so many and I'm not clear as to which I should
concentrate on.

Cheers,

Stephen Carter
Retrac Networking Limited