Amanda-Users

Re: amtapetype problems

2006-08-18 17:00:14
Subject: Re: amtapetype problems
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Nick Jones <nicholas-jones AT uiowa DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 15:54:37 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 at 2:45pm, Nick Jones wrote

I can use mtx to get tape status.  I have not tried to load or unload
a tape.  Basically, assuming everything works and the problem lies
with amanda, how do I use amtapetype?  What device do I use?

Last login: Fri Aug 18 13:40:00 2006 from adams.gige.uiowa.edu
[root@alienraid ~]# mtx -f /dev/sg1 inquiry
Product Type: Tape Drive
Vendor ID: 'HP      '
Product ID: 'Ultrium 3-SCSI  '
Revision: 'G24H'
Attached Changer: No
[root@alienraid ~]# mtx -f /dev/sg2 inquiry
Product Type: Medium Changer
Vendor ID: 'OVERLAND'
Product ID: 'LXB             '
Revision: '0107'
Attached Changer: No

Trying amtapetype with either of these devices fails.  Any hints?   I
can try the other things you suggested btw, such as tar or load/unload
a tape, and will let you know if they don't work.

sg is the "generic scsi" device -- use it to talk to the changer. To talk to the tape drive, use nst0, the "non-rewinding scsi tape" device. 'mt -f /dev/nst0 offline', e.g., will eject a tape.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering