Amanda-Users

Re: Problem with big disks

2006-08-15 18:00:45
Subject: Re: Problem with big disks
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 14:46:03 -0400
On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 07:35:33PM +0200, Karsten Fuhrmann wrote:
> hello,
> i have some disk that are too big too fit on one tape. I thought this
> is no problem anymore since amanda 2.5 but i experience a strange
> behavior.
> I think amanda would split this big dump onto multiple tapes now. But
> when it finished the first tape it dumps the same chunks onto the
> next tape, and on the third tape ....
> So it actually never finished taping such a big disk. And this ruin
> the whole backup, because it stucks on such a big disk forever.
>
> Is there an other workaround than splitting the disk in smaller parts?

Version 2.5 is "capable" of splitting DLEs across tapes.
But that is not the default behavior.  The default is
the same as it has been, splitting is something you have
to configure your dumptype in amanda.conf.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)