Amanda-Users

RE: tape_splitsize 20 Gb and 200GB LTO2 Tapes

2006-08-14 18:06:08
Subject: RE: tape_splitsize 20 Gb and 200GB LTO2 Tapes
From: "Gavin Henry" <ghenry AT suretecsystems DOT com>
To: "Gardiner Leverett" <leverett AT mobiusmicro DOT com>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 21:59:09 +0100 (BST)
<quote who="Gardiner Leverett">
> I've got a question for you (since I'm about to implement
> the exact same thing): does the dump have to be tar'd?

I'm copying this to list for others, hope you don't mind?

We are using tar, but not gzip'd. We are using the hardare compression.

Make sure you use split_diskbuffer, or you'll get a lot of:

taper: no split_diskbuffer specified: using fallback split size of 10240kb to
buffer localhost:/root.0 in-memory

> I am trying to dump about 80G of data from across the
> country (with T1's at both ends), and the throughput is
> coming at 161kb/s, which is trying to say it'd be 4 days
> to dump all this data (when it used to work in one weekend
> over 40 hours).

Whoa ;-)

> I want to implement the same thing with
> splitting across lto2 tapes (but I don't have a holding disk,
> and I'm about to add a usb one).  I think the tar is what's
> killing this, so I just want to do a full dump, into 2gb chunks
> and save those to tape.

Plain tar or with compression?