Amanda-Users

Re: amcheck and BIG holding disks

2006-08-09 15:17:56
Subject: Re: amcheck and BIG holding disks
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 14:11:00 -0400
On Wednesday 09 August 2006 12:05, Gavin Henry wrote:
><quote who="Gavin Henry">
>
>> <quote who="Jon LaBadie">

>>> Damn wrap around/overflow on big numbers.
>>
>> Say again?
>>
>>> Do you expect to be able to feed your unbelievably fast
>>> LTO-3 drive fast enough from network storage?
>>
>> Yeah, it's on the same server (www.dnuk.com NAS Server):
>>
>> Dual AMD64 2GHz
>> 4GB Ram
>> 80GB OS Disk
>> 6.9T /storage
>> SUSE 9.3 64Bit
>> Quantum SuperLoader 3 LT0-2 Autoloader
>
>Any advice on a changer script for this loader?
>
>Was going to use chg-scsi?

That was I believe, written to handle the likes of the Seagate 4586n
changers, which could hand 4 DDS2 cartridges in an internal magazine, or
12 if it had a long stretch of clear space above and below so it could run
a magazine up and down in front of the front panel.  The changer
apparently had about a 1 year lifespan in the use I gave it, and the
chg-scsi utility never did learn howto rewind a tape by any means but
ejecting it and loading the next tape in the magazine.  This meant I had
to run amcheck twice to cycle it back around to the right tape,
accelerating the wear on the mechanism IMO.  For this reason alone I would
explore other means of controlling the mechanism besides chg-scsi.  I
finally got tired of buying already run out drives on ebay and went to
vtapes on a big hard drive and have had zero trouble with that since,
about 2 years now.

That doesn't mean I haven't had trouble with amanda though, I play the part
of the canary in the coal mine playing with bleeding edge stuffs here.

There appears to be some sort of a problem with amanda snapshot versions
newer than 2.5.0-20060424 and kernels newer than 2.6.16.11.  And it never
exhibets the problem on the first run after a reboot, so one gets a false
sense of complacency that the next run will probably destroy.  Random
invocations of gtar, on either the client or the server, may turn into
zombies.

All this of course is taking place while Jean-Louis is on sabbatical, which
I believe continues for the rest of this week.  In the meantime I've found
the missing audio problem with the 2.6.18-rcN kernels, and will run
2.6.18-rc4 for the next several days.  Maybe by the time Jean-Louis gets
back, amanda will have attempted to get the schedule back in balance, at
the moment its totally fubared from all the failures.

>http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Changers#chg-scsi_.28new_interface.2C_tr
>y_to_drive_a_robot_with_direct_scsi_commands.29
>
>Thanks.
>
>> LSI Logic/Symbios Logic 53c1030 PCI-X Fusion-MPT Dual Ultra320 SCSI
>> (rev 07)
>>
>> Just running amtapetype now via "screen", so might just pick one from:
>> http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Tapetype_definitions#LTO-2_.28Ultrium_
>>2.29
>>
>> Gavin.
>>
>>> --
>>> Jon H. LaBadie                  jon AT jgcomp DOT com
>>>  JG Computing
>>>  4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
>>>  Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)

message by Gene Heskett are: