Amanda-Users

Re: notes

2006-08-03 15:54:51
Subject: Re: notes
From: Geert Uytterhoeven <geert AT linux-m68k DOT org>
To: Glenn English <ghe AT slsware DOT com>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 21:47:48 +0200 (CEST)
On Thu, 3 Aug 2006, Glenn English wrote:
> Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > Indeed. The only way to get my backups working again was downgrading to tar
> > from sarge:
> >
> >     apt-get install tar=1.14-2.2
>
> That's exactly what I did 5 minutes after reading Frank Smith's reply.
> That fixed the incrementals. Now it says:
>
> > /--  zbox.slsware.lan /boot lev 1 STRANGE
> > sendbackup: start [zbox.slsware.lan:/boot level 1]
> > sendbackup: info BACKUP=/bin/tar
> > sendbackup: info RECOVER_CMD=/bin/tar -f... -
> > sendbackup: info end
> > ? gtar: /var/lib/amanda/gnutar-lists/zbox.slsware.lan_boot_1.new:1: Invalid
> > time stamp
> > ? gtar: /var/lib/amanda/gnutar-lists/zbox.slsware.lan_boot_1.new:2: Invalid
> > inode number
> > | Total bytes written: 13301760 (13MiB, 5.1MiB/s)
> > | gtar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
> > sendbackup: size 12990
> > sendbackup: end
> > \--------
>
> And I just now tried to recover. It didn't work. Something's
> significantly bent here. A project for the afternoon...

The format for incrementals was changed in 1.15.91. While the new tar can
probably read old incrementals, I guess the old tar can't read the new format.

Probably I didn't suffer from the downgrade since all my level zero dumps were
long overdue, and Amanda no longer wanted to do incrementals.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                                                Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- geert AT linux-m68k
DOT org

                                                            -- Linus Torvalds