Amanda-Users

Re: more fun with levels and estimates fubar

2006-07-27 12:18:03
Subject: Re: more fun with levels and estimates fubar
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: AMANDA users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 12:10:53 -0400
On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 10:26:28AM -0400, Jean-Francois Malouin wrote:
> Continuing with my estimate saga...
>
> What would cause a level 1 backup of a DLE with gnutar
> be as big as a full? Estimates are done with calcsize
> and gnutar is 1.13.25 with amanda-2.4.5
>
> Could it be that the gnutar-lists file is corrupted?
> Looking at them I see that they all have the same size
> for level 0 1 and 2...Normal?

Are the gnutar-lists files current?  I.e. are they being
updated each night?  My "similar" problem had the system
creating *.NEW files, but never renaming them after the dump.
So I was always using old list files.  But "record no" (my
problem) is not yours.

I recall from your original post that you were having
problems with same size dumps from DLEs the used gnutar
and others that used xfsdump.  The latter would not use
gnutar-lists so I doubt the overall problem was there.

But just in case, what about permissions/ownership on the
gnutar-list directories and their parent paths.

What about the curinfo files.  Are they being updated nightly?

The solution to my problem was triggered by a several year-old
thread were all levels were the same size.  The solution to
that posters troubles was to stop running a script that nightly
touched or chmod'ed all files on the DLEs.  Might you be having
a similar situation such that all "ls -l" or "ls -cl" timestamps
are current thus making it look like they require backing up?

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)