Amanda-Users

Re: Difference between the amrestore and amrecover

2006-07-17 09:09:45
Subject: Re: Difference between the amrestore and amrecover
From: Matt Hyclak <hyclak AT math.ohiou DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 09:05:37 -0400
On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 05:57:45AM -0700, silpa kala enlightened us:
> I need some clarification. I worked on amrestore ,
> which we can retrieve the backup image from holding
> disk or tape.
> amrestore /dev/nst0
> amrestore holdingdiskname
>
> But I didn't understand the amrecover. I feel
> amrecover is also developed for the same purpose.
>
> Why we need two commands for the restore?
>
> Is there any detailed technical mannual is available
> for amrecover?
>
> Please clarify the doubts.

amrecover gives you an interactive interface to select specific files.
amrestore is used for pulling entire DLE's from tape.

There is a man page for amrecover and source code. What more do you need?

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak
Department of Mathematics