Amanda-Users

Problems with new Amanda release (2.5.0p2): amcheck not reporting tape errors via e-mail

2006-07-11 22:23:58
Subject: Problems with new Amanda release (2.5.0p2): amcheck not reporting tape errors via e-mail
From: <donald.ritchey AT exeloncorp DOT com>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 19:03:01 -0500
I recently upgraded the first of our Amanda installations to 2.5.0p2 ]
and found an unwelcome surprise:  amcheck no longer reports tape
problems
via e-mail from an amcheck run out of the Amanda user's crontab file.

We have amcheck set to run every day at 1500 to warn us if we have
forgotten
to change the tape before leaving for the day.  Since upgrading, I get a
normal warning message from amcheck when I run it from the foreground in
terminal window, but nothing whatsoever from the crontab entry.

I spent some time this evening with another administrator checking the
limits
of what does and does not work here.

        If I leave the previous tape out of the drive, I get an error
from
        amcheck -s in the terminal session telling me no tape is found,
but
        nothing from amcheck -sm.

                tape_rdlabel: tape open: /dev/ntape/tape0: I/O error
                       (expecting tape emcpd-007 or a new tape)

        If I have the old tape loaded in the drive, I get an error about
        the wrong tape loaded in the drive, but again I get nothing from

        amcheck -sm.
                read label `emcpd-006', date `20060711'
                       (expecting tape emcpd-007 or a new tape)

Is there some change or magic switch that I missed or can someone point
me
in the right direction to troubleshoot the issue?  Surely, someone else
is
using amcheck from a crontab and getting useful results.

Thanks,

Don

Donald L. (Don) Ritchey
Information Technology
Exelon Corporation

*****
This e-mail and any of its attachments may contain Exelon
Corporation proprietary information, which is privileged,
confidential, or subject to copyright belonging to the Exelon
Corporation family of Companies.
This e-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual or
entity to which it is addressed.  If you are not the intended
recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation
to the contents of and attachments to this e-mail is strictly
prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received this e-mail
in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently
delete the original and any copy of this e-mail and any printout.
Thank You.
*****