Amanda-Users

Re: Hints on using amverify

2006-07-11 10:22:57
Subject: Re: Hints on using amverify
From: Graeme Humphries <graeme.humphries AT vcom DOT com>
To: Nicola Mauri <Nicola.Mauri AT saga DOT it>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 08:14:19 -0600
Nicola Mauri wrote:
1) What kind of errors can amverify detect?
2) What kind of errors *cannot* amverify detect?
3) Does it make sense to schedule amverify after amdump every day?
4) Should we trust amverify results? Should we continue to check backup by periodically restoring some tapes?
It's my limited understanding that amverify simply tries to read all files off the tape that are supposed to be there according to the database. It has no way to compare that against the original data to compare whether or not it's good data, it just checks to make sure the data it thinks is there is actually there.

So it's probably a very good idea to periodically pull data off the tapes and make sure it's actually valid, but running amverify after amdump just to make sure that data made it onto the tape isn't a bad idea either.

Of course, someone with more amverify knowledge can feel free to butt in and correct me at any time. ;)

Graeme

--
Graeme Humphries (graeme.humphries AT vcom DOT com)
(306) 955-7075 ext. 485

My views are not the views of my employers.