Amanda-Users

Re: The Size Question

2006-07-07 20:55:16
Subject: Re: The Size Question
From: "Peter Kunst" <Peter.Kunst AT swissrisk DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2006 01:50:09 +0200
Jon LaBadie wrote:
On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 05:11:50PM -0400, lois AT zmanda DOT com wrote:

Hi, everyone -

I would like to suggest an update for the answer to the Size Question, one
of the top ten questions at http://www.amanda.org/docs/topten.html. I have
also seen this question on the Zmanda forums; that is, how to make a
single dump image aka disk list entry span multiple tapes. Traditionally,
the answer is that you can't.

As of Amanda 2.5, a single dump image can now span multiple tapes. To
quote Chander Kant from Zmanda, describing the new features list:

------->8-------

Dump images spanning multiple media volumes:

This major step forward alleviates Amanda's most significant limitation.
The size of the backed up images is no longer restricted to a single media
volume but may now span over several volumes. This gets rid of the need of
the administrator to artificially segment their data into parts which can
fit into a single media volume (as required in prior versions of Amanda).

No more manually splitting up the DLEs.

:)

Best regards,

And no more simple recovery of spanned dumps using
standard unix tools when amanda is not available.
That needs to be pointed out in any revision.

Indeed. Just had another case last week, where the dd method tells me "this is chunk 3 of 4"... well, on which tapes do i find the other chunks, i asked myself.

Another topic still unsolved until 2.5.0p2 is the output of something like "amadmin ${AMCONFIG} info|grep ${AMCONFIG} | awk '{print $3}' | sort | uniq", which tells me until 2.4.5 which tapes have to be offsite for desaster recoveries. 2.5.x doesn't list tapelabels which definitely have dumps of the actual dumpcycle on it.

 Cheers, Peter