Amanda-Users

Re: ipv6 question

2006-07-03 13:28:48
Subject: Re: ipv6 question
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Rodrigo Ventura <yoda AT isr.ist.utl DOT pt>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 12:22:29 -0500
Rodrigo Ventura wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a simple question: does amanda support dumping/restoring over IPv6?
>
> I have a server behind a NATbox that I need to backup periodically. IPv6
> would
> be the neat solution. Otherwise, are there IPv4 solutions?

I don't know about the IPv6 question.  It depends on how the socket
code is written.
   NAT certainly works.  I back up quite a few remote servers which
only have private IPs, and my Amanda server appears to those clients
as a private IP that is different from it's real IP, NATted through
a VPN.  Works fine as long as names resolve properly based on who's
asking (i.e., my local clients resolve the server to its real IP,
while the remote clients resolve it to its NATted IP).

> I read somewhere about iptables having a module for amanda. How does it work?

It just sees the reply packets (that occur on different ports) as
related to the original request and allows them to pass through. Its
similar to the way the FTP module works.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673