Amanda-Users

Re: amrecover: rewinding tape and restore directory

2006-07-03 04:04:54
Subject: Re: amrecover: rewinding tape and restore directory
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Joe Donner <joedonner2001 AT hotmail DOT com>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 09:50:55 +0200
On 2006-06-30 12:40, Joe Donner (sent by Nabble.com) wrote:
Dear all,

I think I may finally have cracked Amanda, but there are two things not
quite clear to me:

1.  When you do an amrecover, do you HAVE to rewind the tape first?  This
isn't a problem as such, I'm just wondering whether or not it should work
that way, i.e. in amanda.conf I've got specified tapedev "/dev/nst0", which
I understand to mean that you're using your tape drive as a no-rewind device
(which I believe is sort of required by Amanda).

The tape has to be on or before the backup that you want to restore from.

For some tape drives it is much faster if you position the tape first,
using "mt fsf", and then start a restore.  Otherwise Amanda will scan
the tape, skipping over all backups, until it finds the correct one.
This is much slower on certain drives, than a "mt fsf".

That's also why in more recent releases (>= 2.4.3, already a few years
old too), there is an option that you can let Amanda do the positioning
with fsf too.  (see: amrecover_do_fsf in amanda.conf).

2.  I create a restore directory on the Amanda server, and then run
amrecover as root from that directory to test doing restores from tape.  At
the moment I'm backing up directories from two hosts - the backup server
itself and a client linux machine.  I've noticed that when I restore stuff
into the restore directory for one client, and subsequently do a restore to
the same directory for a second client, then the first client's restored
files get deleted just before the second client's files are restored.  In
other words, the restore directory is cleared of all its contents, and then
the second restore runs.  Is this intended behaviour?

I would think that in practice you'd set up your clients so that you could
restore data straight back to the client into a temporary directory, as
opposed to doing restores to the backup server and then copying the data
back to the client.

http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Why_does_amrecover_erase_files%3F

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *