Amanda-Users

Re: amcheck reading label: Device or resource busy

2006-06-24 21:34:03
Subject: Re: amcheck reading label: Device or resource busy
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 21:27:19 -0400
On Sat, Jun 24, 2006 at 05:46:27PM -0700, Robert Grey wrote:
> I am setting up Amanda on a Gentoo box with an Overland LoaderXPress and
> can't seem to get past an amcheck issue. The amdump operation works fine
> but amcheck gives this error:

amdump is working but amcheck is not?
I'd first check permissions on amcheck.
It should be root owned and setuid'ed.

> -----------
> Here is my amanda.conf:
> -----------
> org "daily"
> mailto "<removed>"      # space separated list of operators at your site
> dumpuser "amanda"       # the user to run dumps under

is amanda user or amanda's group allowed to read the tape device?

> #
> inparallel 4            # maximum dumpers that will run in parallel
> netusage  1000          # maximum net bandwidth for Amanda, in KB per sec
>
> # a filesystem is due for a full backup once every <dumpcycle> days

"at least" once every dumpcycle

> dumpcycle 7 days        # the number of days in the normal dump cycle

where is runspercycle?, i.e. the number of times in 7 days
you will run amdump.

> tapecycle 8 tapes       # the number of tapes in rotation

Assuming runspercycle is 7, not a lot of safety in 1 tape more
than a dumpcycle.

> bumpsize 20 MB          # minimum savings (threshold) to bump level 1 -> 2
> bumpdays     1          # minimum days at each level
> bumpmult     4          # threshold = bumpsize * (level-1)**bumpmult
>
> # this is a symbol link to "/dev/nsto"

Is this correct, or is it really nst"0" (zero not ohh)?

> tapedev "/dev/tape"     # Linux @ tuck, important: norewinding

Typically I see this link as "ntape" -> nst0 and "tape" -> st0.
Make sure you are pointing to the correct device.

> tpchanger "chg-zd-mtx"   # the tape changer script
>
> # this is a symbol link to "/dev/sg0"
> changerdev "/dev/changer"    # the tape changer device
> changerfile "/etc/amanda/daily/changer" # the tape change status
>
> tapetype  DLT-7000-IV           # what kind of tape it is (see tapetypes
> below)
> labelstr "^DAILY[0-9][0-9]*$"   # label constraint regex: all tapes must
> match
>
> # this is the local disk cache
> holdingdisk home {
>    comment "cache disk"
>    directory "/var/spool/amanda/backup-store"
>    use 2000MB
> }
>
> # Amanda needs a few MB of diskspace for the log and debug files,
> # as well as a database.  This stuff can grow large, so the conf directory
> # isn't usually appropriate.
>
> infofile "/var/spool/amanda/daily/lib/curinfo"  # database filename
> logdir   "/var/spool/amanda/daily/log/"         # log directory
> #logfile  "/var/spool/amanda/daily/log/log"         # log filename
>
> # where the index files live
> indexdir "/var/spool/amanda/daily/lib/index"
>
> # tapetypes
> define tapetype DLT {
>    comment "DLT tape drives"
>    length 20000 mbytes         # 20 Gig tapes
>    filemark 2000 kbytes        # I don't know what this means

space wasted between end of one file and start of next on the tape.
Only significant if you have lots of tape files.

>    speed 1500 kbytes
> }
>
> define tapetype DLT-8000-IV {
>    comment "Overland LoaderXpress DLT"
>    length 38042 mbytes
>    filemark 114 kbytes
>    speed 5865 kbytes
> }
>
> define tapetype DLT-7000-IV {
>    comment "DLT7000 with DLTtape IV uncompressed"
>    length 35000 mbytes

You believe the manufacturer's rating huh?

>    filemark 8 kbytes
>    speed 5000 kbytes
> }
>
> # dumptypes
> ------
> and my changer.conf:
> ------
> firstslot=2
> lastslot=10
> cleanslot=1
> driveslot=0
>

>>> End of included message <<<

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)