Amanda-Users

Re: amandad process defunct

2006-06-21 16:40:24
Subject: Re: amandad process defunct
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Joe Donner <joedonner2001 AT hotmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 22:33:52 +0200
Joe Donner (sent by Nabble.com) schreef:
Hi,

I'm running Amanda in a test lab, and every several days or so the backup
job to virtual tape fails because a process called amandad becomes
unresponsive on the backup client.  When doing an amcheck from the Amanda
server it tells me that amandad on the client is "busy".  When having a look
at the client with the ps command, it lists two diferent amandad processes,
with one showing as being "defunct".  I cannot kill this process, but when I
kill the other amandad process I can get rid of both, but then have to
reboot the client to get the backup job to work again.

Do you know how I can avoid doing this reboot, or what may be going on here?

Reboot is a pretty drastic remedy :-)
When the amandad process is killed, doesn't xinetd listen on
port 10080/udp again?

Do you have any idea what is "failing"?  Usually in the debug files
in /tmp/amanda on the client there should be more clues about what is going on.

The error "amandad" busy actually indicates to me that the amandad is
still active on that client: that is the response you get from the first
amandad when you want to start another dump or check.