Amanda-Users

Re: holding disk question

2006-06-19 12:25:14
Subject: Re: holding disk question
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 12:07:49 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 at 11:49am, Jon LaBadie wrote

On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 04:05:05PM +0200, Cyrille Bollu wrote:

I would like a confirmation:

I'm using amanda to backup only local (SCSI) hard drives (about 1TB).

In such a configuration are there any benefits from using a holding disk?

I hope the answer is as easy as the question but :-/

parallelism of multiple DLE's dumping at same time.

more consistant feeding of tape drive from a "single" disk file
rather than at dump program rate.

All of those benefits assume the I/O subsystem can handle the demands being placed on it. A 6-disk RAID5 is going to be *very* hard pressed to handle 2 read and 1 write thread all on the same volume simultaneously.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering