Amanda-Users

Re: Query about message from taper: no space left on device

2006-05-29 04:19:22
Subject: Re: Query about message from taper: no space left on device
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 10:11:46 +0200
On 2006-05-26 15:32, Jon LaBadie wrote:
On Fri, May 26, 2006 at 02:14:29PM +0100, Stuart Winter wrote:

I am spanning tapes with a split size:
    tape_splitsize 3 Gb

NOTE:  two things don't jive, your claim of spanning chunks of 3Gb and
the reports that amanda is writing nearly 3000 chunks per tape (fm 29XX).
Either you have another definition for tape_splitsize overriding the one
you show, or amanda is not recognizing the Gb suffix.  On the amanda.conf
manpage Gb is `not' listed as a valid suffix for gigabyte.

First, "Gb" is one of the recognized units.  Here is the list of units
from the source code (conffile.c around line 2676):

keytab_t numb_keytable[] = {
    { "B", MULT1 },
    { "BPS", MULT1 },
    { "BYTE", MULT1 },
    { "BYTES", MULT1 },
    { "DAY", MULT1 },
    { "DAYS", MULT1 },
    { "INF", INFINITY },
    { "K", MULT1K },
    { "KB", MULT1K },
    { "KBPS", MULT1K },
    { "KBYTE", MULT1K },
    { "KBYTES", MULT1K },
    { "KILOBYTE", MULT1K },
    { "KILOBYTES", MULT1K },
    { "KPS", MULT1K },
    { "M", MULT1M },
    { "MB", MULT1M },
    { "MBPS", MULT1M },
    { "MBYTE", MULT1M },
    { "MBYTES", MULT1M },
    { "MEG", MULT1M },
    { "MEGABYTE", MULT1M },
    { "MEGABYTES", MULT1M },
    { "G", MULT1G },
    { "GB", MULT1G },
    { "GBPS", MULT1G },
    { "GBYTE", MULT1G },
    { "GBYTES", MULT1G },
    { "GIG", MULT1G },
    { "GIGABYTE", MULT1G },
    { "GIGABYTES", MULT1G },
    { "MPS", MULT1M },
    { "TAPE", MULT1 },
    { "TAPES", MULT1 },
    { "WEEK", MULT7 },
    { "WEEKS", MULT7 },

One of the "weird" things is that the multiplier just multiplies, and
does not check if the implied unit makes any sense in the context.
You could say e.g.
   tapecycle 14 bps
with "bps", from above just multiplies by 1.  Or more ridiculous
like in a tapedefinition:
   speed 7340032 weeks
which is the same as "speed 7 mbps".

About the mismatch of the number of chunks versus the specified chunksize, I current implementation of tape chunker needs to mmap()
the complete specified size.  Depending on the OS, implementation of
mmap(), and the amount of available swapspace, that call to mmap()
may fail, in which case Amanda tries to fall back to the "fallback_splitsize" parameter, which defaults to 10Mbyte.

So I guess you better lower the "tapesplit_size 3Gb" to
  tape_splitsize 1 Gb
and see what happens then.  (And better specify a decent default
for "fallback_splitsize" in any case too!).

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *