Amanda-Users

Re: retention policy for dumptypes

2006-05-24 12:51:45
Subject: Re: retention policy for dumptypes
From: Ian Turner <ian AT zmanda DOT com>
To: "Anthony Worrall" <anthony.worrall AT reading.ac DOT uk>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 12:45:31 -0400
On Wednesday 24 May 2006 06:38, Anthony Worrall wrote:
> However you might want to add an option to allow amanda to overwrite the
> tape if there is enough holding disk space for it to first read all the
> dumps that need to be retained off the tape.

This is a process called Migration, and while it is awhile off, I think it is
an important feature to support. Not only in the case of tape recycling,
migration can also be important if you want to backup to disk, but then after
a few weeks migrate some of those backups to tape. Or maybe from tape to some
even more permanent archival medium.

Also, going from holding disk to tape is technically a case of migration, too.

After having thought about this not very much, my opinion on the roadmap is
something like:
1) Get Device API going, work out the bugs, let it settle a bit
2) Move the holding disk subsystem under the Device API, so that the holding
disk is also a Device API volume.
2b) Get partial-dump spooling to work, if you have a dump that is larger than
your holding diskj.
3) Generalize this behavior, to talk about migration of any kind.
4) Find the right policy configuration to allow other kinds of migration.

> This obviously is slightly
> risky

Only if you don't MD5 your data. We don't at the moment, but that feature
could (& should) be added at some point.

Cheers,

--Ian
--
Wiki for Amanda documentation: http://wiki.zmanda.com/