Amanda-Users

Re: vtape, end of tape waste

2006-05-24 03:36:53
Subject: Re: vtape, end of tape waste
From: Geert Uytterhoeven <geert AT linux-m68k DOT org>
To: Ian Turner <ian AT zmanda DOT com>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 09:25:05 +0200 (CEST)
On Tue, 23 May 2006, Ian Turner wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 May 2006 16:28, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> > But running out of disk space caused me to look more
> > closely at the situation and I realized that the failed
> > taping is left on the disk.  This of course mimics what
> > happens on physical tape.  However with the file:driver
> > if this failed, and useless "tape file" were deleted,
> > it would free up space for other data.
> >
> > Has anyone addressed this situation?
>
> There is no good short-term solution to this problem. Sorry. :-( Tape
> spanning
> helps, but is not a panacea.
>
> This is one of the limitations of the vtape API that I was talking about --
> it
> tries to reimplement tape semantics on a filesystem, even when that doesn't
> make sense.

[ Disclaimer: I haven't looked at the code yet ]

But I guess it can't be that difficult to call remove() on write error?
When close() is called later, it will be deleted.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                                                Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- geert AT linux-m68k
DOT org

                                                            -- Linus Torvalds