Amanda-Users

Re: Parallel dumps of a single file system?

2006-05-23 10:44:53
Subject: Re: Parallel dumps of a single file system?
From: "Paul Lussier" <pllsaph AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Andreas Hallmann" <hallmann AT ahatec DOT de>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 10:39:09 -0400
On 5/23/06, Andreas Hallmann <hallmann AT ahatec DOT de> wrote:

Since in the raid blocks are spreed sequentially (w.r.t the file) among
most (raid5) of the avail platters, it will behave more like a single
spindle with more layers.

> So, my question is this: Am I doing the right thing by dumping these
> DLEs serially, or can I dump them in parallel?

Dumping this DLEs sequentially is your only option to keep spindle
movements low. So your doing it the way I would do it.
Anything else should reduce your throughput.

Does that imply that if this RAID set were split into multiple file systems, I'd still be better off dumping them one at a time?

I'm looking for ways to speed up my daily incremental backups.  We may well be purchasing a new RAID array in the near future.  Which may allow me to migrate the existing data to it and split it up into multiple file systems, then go back and re-format the old one.

Thanks,
--
Paul