Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda

2006-05-18 10:35:59
Subject: Re: Amanda
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: James Wilson <jwilson AT transolutions DOT net>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 10:31:29 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 18 May 2006 at 9:11am, James Wilson wrote

I am new to Amanda and I was just wondering if anyone here has configured a Dell powervault 132T with 2 drives and 23 slots or anything close to this.

What sort of tape drive? I've got an Overland Neo2K with 2 LTO3 drives and 30 slots that I'm quite happily running amanda with.

When I run amtapetype I get an unknow-tapetype is the right for the powervault? Also wondering if Amanda can backup directories or does it just backup the whole hard drive? Can I write more than one dump to a tape? Any config examples or pointers are appreciated, right now I only have the basics completed like the client setup the hosts, directories, etc.

These are all FAQs to some extent. Amanda can back up directories if you use tar for the backup tool and partitions only if you use dump. Amanda does not append to tapes. Dig through the docs and grok dumpcycle, runspercycle, runtapes, and tapecycle and then come on back with specific questions.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering