Amanda-Users

amrestore with -h option

2006-05-11 12:39:24
Subject: amrestore with -h option
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: Jon LaBadie <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 12:34:42 -0400
Am I misunderstanding the -h option?  From the manpage:

    -h  Header output. The tape header block is output at
        the beginning of each file. This is like -r except
        -c or -C may also be used to compress the result.

  If a header is written (-r or -h), only 32 KBytes are output
  regardless of the tape blocksize. This makes the resulting
  image usable as a holding file.

I thought the -h was used to extract just the header.  The first
sentence of the second paragraph above seems to support this notion.
Yet when I try it the -h seems to act to include or exclude the
header with the rest of the dump.

The sentence is obviously wrong about the use of the -r option.
So maybe it is also wrong about the -h.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)