Amanda-Users

Re: Virutal server host

2006-05-07 12:11:48
Subject: Re: Virutal server host
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 7 May 2006 12:07:10 -0400
On Sun, May 07, 2006 at 09:12:53AM -0400, McGraw, Robert P. wrote:

> Running Amanda 2.4.5p1 on a Solaris 10 Sparc.
>
> Has anyone tried to used a virtual host name for the backup server?
>
> This would be an easy way to  move the amanda server to another host.
> All that would be required is that you add the server name as a virtual
> host name and you should be back in business.
>
> The problem that I see is that sometime the real name gets returned on
> certain request.
>
> Just wondering if someone has done it and if so was there something
> special that you had to do?

If all you are doing is adding a additional name, like "amanda_server"
to an existing hostname/ip_address pairing I can see name confusion
easily arising.

But would that be true if you ran a second NIC in the server?  It should
respond with the hostname associated with that IP.

No second NIC, then what about additional IP addresses on the same NIC?
Those should be associated with their own hostnames also.  Solaris, linux,
and other unicies I'm familiar with all support multiple IP addresses on
a single NIC.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)