Amanda-Users

Re: C2 Jukebox with LTO3 drive

2006-05-01 09:17:18
Subject: Re: C2 Jukebox with LTO3 drive
From: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 09:13:38 -0400
Jon,

I want to thank you for your reply. The information is correct, and
I'm not at all suprised that the Amanda list and contributers have
extensive knowledge of specific operating systems. Unfortunately I
didn't see the message until this morning (it arrived saturday), I
had already sent a follow-up myself, I hope it arrived at the list
as I don't recall seeing my own posting.

I have access to the C2 robot now, the tape drive is available but
I haven't yet been able to perform any real testing. I am waiting for
v31 of the firmware as v30 has known issues (it arrived with v12) and
I have some ongoing issues with the loading and movement of the tapes.

                                                thank you,

                                                Brian

On Sat, Apr 29, 2006 at 10:56:18AM -0400, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 03:22:04PM -0400, Brian Cuttler wrote:
> >
> > Hi y'all,
> >
> > I'm running Solaris 9 with Amanda 2.4.4 (hoping to find the time
> > to upgrade soon, but its working great), MTX is v 1.2.17rel
> >
> > We have been running the data to a StorEdge L9 jukebox with LTO tapes.
> >
> > We are in process of installing a StorEdge C2 jukebox with an LTO3 tape.
> >
> > We see the new tape drive at /dev/rmt/2, but do not have a device
> > file for the jukebox. Quantum says that its just offset by the LUN
> > number, SUN says to install Legato or Netbackup or something so I
> > have a passthrough driver.
> >
> > Have any of you installed this jukebox ? Do I need the additional
> > software in order to create a proper device file for the jukebox ?
> >
> > The StorEdge L9 jukebox has a sepate scsi id from its tape drive
> > and I'm able to see a device in directory /dev/scsi/changer/ but
> > this is not the case with the C2. I'm uncertain how the L9 changer
> > device was created.
> >

> Check out two files in /kernel/drv, st.conf and sgen.conf.
> The st.conf file as supplied does not look at lun's > 0.
> I think the end of the st.conf file looks like this as supplied.
>
> #---------------------------------------------------------------
>
> name="st" class="scsi" target=0 lun=0;
> name="st" class="scsi" target=1 lun=0;
> name="st" class="scsi" target=2 lun=0;
> name="st" class="scsi" target=3 lun=0;
> name="st" class="scsi" target=4 lun=0;
> name="st" class="scsi" target=5 lun=0;
> name="st" class="scsi" target=6 lun=0;
>
> #
> #   In case there are wide tape drives, one can use these targets
> #
> #name="st" class="scsi" target=8 lun=0;
> #name="st" class="scsi" target=9 lun=0;
> #name="st" class="scsi" target=10 lun=0;
> #name="st" class="scsi" target=11 lun=0;
> #name="st" class="scsi" target=12 lun=0;
> #name="st" class="scsi" target=13 lun=0;
> #name="st" class="scsi" target=14 lun=0;
> #name="st" class="scsi" target=15 lun=0;
>

> Note, even the higher numbered scsi targets are not looked at.
> If you know your scsi target, say 5 like mine, add a line like:
>
> name="st" class="scsi" target=5 lun=1;
>
> I think the only problem with adding more lines or uncommenting
> existing lines is slightly slower boot times.
>
> The sgen.conf file has similar lines that may need
> uncommenting or editing.  And you may need to add
> something like this from my edited sgen.conf:
>
> #####
> # Added by jhl
> #####
>
> device-type-config-list="changer";
> inquiry-config-list=    "HP",   "HP DDS-3 4mm DAT loader",
>                         "HP",   "C1557A";
>
> The strings are what is identified during boot and
> can be seen with a prtconf -??? sorry, forget the
> options.
>
> This would give you devices under /dev/scsi/???,
> where ??? might be changer or sequential.
>
> After the changes, you will need to do a reconfigure
> [...]
---
   Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cuttler AT wadsworth DOT org