Amanda-Users

Re: 2.5.0 config file errors on FC5

2006-04-26 09:55:15
Subject: Re: 2.5.0 config file errors on FC5
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Silver Salonen <silver AT ultrasoft DOT ee>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 15:52:40 +0200
On 2006-04-26 15:40, Silver Salonen wrote:
Hi.

As I'm in kind of hurry (I'm writing a bachelor's thesis about backups and a small part of it is about Amanda and the deadline is at the beginning of the next week), I installed Amanda 2.5.0 RPM for FC4 on FC5.

I've looked Amanda's official documentation's page about a dozen times, but it looks somewhat obfuscating, so now I tried to start with Amanda according to Zmanda's quick start guide (http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Quick_start). BTW, could anybody suggest a nice documentation where it would be possible to get a nice and quick overview about Amanda's structure (the main process, dealing with backup-media, etc. - some chema maybe)? The main documentation is really scary - it has specific information and how-to's about different parts, but the overall picture.. :(

http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Amanda_chapter

I've configured everything exactly as written on the quick start page, but

  ... "exactly"...  :-)

when I try to label a virtual tape (being actually a folder on hard drive), I get several errors about my amanda.conf.

I execute:
# su - amandabackup
$ cd /backup/amanda-vtapes/
$ ammt -t file:/backup/amanda-vtapes/tape rewind
$ amlabel daily Test-01

And get:

"/etc/amanda/daily/amanda.conf", line 164: holding disk parameter expected
"/etc/amanda/daily/amanda.conf", line 164: end of line expected

I think there's no point to copy-paste all the problematic lines, but I'd do it about some of the first. Lines from 164 to 168 are:

infofile "/var/lib/amanda/daily/curinfo"                # database DIRECTORY
logdir   "/var/lib/amanda/daily"                        # log directory
indexdir "/var/lib/amanda/daily/index"          # index directory
tapelist "/var/lib/amanda/daily/tapelist"       # list of used tapes

How about the lines just before?
There is probably a "holdingdisk" section,
and you forgot to close the brace?

# tapelist is stored, by default, in the directory that contains amanda.conf

I've googled about this error, but everything I've found is some of Amanda's source-code.

Is the FC4 version really so incompatible with FC5 or what could be the problem?

Too much in a hurry and overlooking the obvious errors?

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *