Amanda-Users

How to read a damaged tape

2006-04-21 04:41:41
Subject: How to read a damaged tape
From: Olivier Nicole <on AT cs.ait.ac DOT th>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 15:36:13 +0700 (ICT)
Hi,

OK, this is a bit out of topic, but I really don't know where to ask.

I have a SLR 100 tape drive (SCSI interface) and a tape cartridge with
4 files (not an Amanad tape, just plain tar).

The first file is damaged so I cannot mt fsf over that file to read
the others.

Is there a secret way to to advance the tape by a certain number of
meters, or by a certain number of seconds or something. I know I would
end up at a random position in the middle of a file, but at least I
could fast forward over the damaged file.

Best regards,

Olivier