Amanda-Users

Re: Size of holding disk when backing up to HDD

2006-04-16 23:20:30
Subject: Re: Size of holding disk when backing up to HDD
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: amanda AT leangen DOT net
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 22:16:35 -0500
David Leangen wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I am backing up to disk. I thought I put away enough holding space, but
> apparently not. I get the following warning.
>
> WARNING: holding disk /data: only 91831964 KB free (104857600 KB
> requested)
>

> How important is this? Am I taking a big performance hit because of
> this? Or can I ignore this warning?

It just means you told Amanda you had nearly 105GB of holding disk
but it only found about 92GB of available space.

Unless your backups are very large and your tape drive is slow, 92GB
should be plenty.  If you're not getting errors about running out
of holdingdisk and dumps going directly to tape, I wouldn't worry
about it.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673