Amanda-Users

Re: Experience with LTO2 media

2006-04-05 08:22:11
Subject: Re: Experience with LTO2 media
From: Matt Hyclak <hyclak AT math.ohiou DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 08:17:34 -0400
On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 03:07:47PM +0300, Toomas Aas enlightened us:
> Just curious - what are people's experiences with different brands of LTO2
> media? I've lost two HP LTO2 tapes within last two months due to the drive
> reporting 'media write errors'. Should I switch to some other manufacturer?

I have used Fuji LTO1 for about 3.5 years, and lost one tape due to the
drive EATING it. It killed the drive, HP wanted $3,500 for a replacement
with only a 90 day warranty, so I opted to buy a new LTO2 drive from
Certance/Quantum (whatever they are this week) and Certance Media. I've gone
through 1 pass on about 10 tapes and so far so good.

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak
Department of Mathematics