Amanda-Users

Amanda 2.5.0 and 2.4.x clients with virtual IP interfaces

2006-04-05 07:33:19
Subject: Amanda 2.5.0 and 2.4.x clients with virtual IP interfaces
From: "Paul Haldane" <Paul.Haldane AT newcastle.ac DOT uk>
To: "'amanda-users'" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 12:23:20 +0100
I've tracked down why three of my Amanda clients weren't working with my new
2.5.0 server.  Problem is that these machines have virtual IP interfaces
(aliased interfaces like eth0:1) so that we can easily move services between
machines.

>From monitoring the network traffic I can see that the replies from the client
>are coming back to the server from the virtual IP address.

For clarity here's an example setup ...

Amanda server: amserv 10.8.232.2

Main IP address of client1 (eth0) 10.8.232.3
Service IP address (service1) attached to client1 (eth0:1) 10.8.232.4

I have client1 in the disklist file (since I want to backup machines not
services).  Request goes from amserv to client1 but comes back to amserv from
service1.  Amanda seems to silently discard this reply (seems a reasonable
thing as it's apparently getting a random reply).

I can easily fix this for now (by changing the disk list entries to use the
service host name) but that doesn't mesh with how I organise the backups.

Am I right in thinking that this is an issue with the Amanda client software
(should reply on the same address that it received the request on)?

Is this something that has been tightened up at the server end between 2.4.x
and 2.5.0?

Paul