Amanda-Users

Re: disk + tape

2006-03-30 21:14:10
Subject: Re: disk + tape
From: stan <stanb AT panix DOT com>
To: Salvatore Enrico Indiogine <hindiogine AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 21:11:17 -0500
On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 05:55:02PM -0600, Salvatore Enrico Indiogine wrote:
> I am trying to set up an amanda b/u system here at Texas A&M.   This
> would be the first time for me.
>
> I has been suggested to me to use a daily b/u to disk and then weekly
> flush to tape.  We have a 8-slot Quantum tape drive.

Do you really need teh complexity of doing both virtual tapes, and
physical tapes? The only real advantage is in speed of recovery,
and, if you work at it hard enough, being able to recover, while a
backup is running.

Sounds like your hardware is better suited to a "classic" Amanda
set up to me.

--
U.S. Encouraged by Vietnam Vote - Officials Cite 83% Turnout Despite Vietcong
Terror