Amanda-Users

Re: Whats next after Amanda 2.5

2006-03-29 18:11:54
Subject: Re: Whats next after Amanda 2.5
From: "Christopher McCrory" <chrismcc AT pricegrabber DOT com>
To: "Paddy Sreenivasan" <paddy AT zmanda DOT com>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 06:35:46 -0800 (PST)
Hello...

On Sun, March 26, 2006 5:20 pm, Paddy Sreenivasan said:
> We need to decide on the release version? 2.6? 2.5.1?
>
> Following is the list of features that have been requested:
>
> - Support for POSIX file names (allowing spaces in filenames)
> - Amanda user ids consistency (sourceforge bug 1416737) - Requested by
> Paul Bijnens, Mitch Collinsworth
> - Backing up filesystem ACLs (schily tar support)
> - Design and implementation of application API (new Dumper API)
>   (Proposal in http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Application_API )
> - Cleaning up the device interface to support WORM devices
>   (Suggested by mhelmling http://forums.zmanda.com/showthread.php?t=28 )
>
> Of course, all open bugs in sourceforge.net bug tracker have to be
> addressed.
>
> If you have feature requests or if you find bugs, please post them in
> sourceforge.net bug tracker
> (http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=120&atid=100120)

I can add the following request; posting here for comments:

Don't start writing to tape until a set percentage or amount of data is
ready to write.

autoflush yes
min_tape_usage_before_writing: xx% || xxG

Perodically the last tape used in a run gets one or two small dumps.
tape1 : ... ...   99%
tape2 : ... ...   99%
tape3 : ... ...   99%
tape4 : ... ...    2%   # I could live with these being written tomorrow

bug?: in rare cases (when all DLEs have long dumpcycle and skip-incr)
amanda will mark a tape as used, when no data is backed up.

It would also help with http://www.amanda.org/docs/topten.html#id2552434

--
Christopher McCrory

chrismcc AT pricegrabber DOT com